Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Stuff Side of Simplification


Something felt different this Christmas. I kept couldn't help myself from asking:

"WHAT am I going to do with all of this?"

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. We LOVED the thoughtful and wonderful gifts we received. The problem is, our house hit the clutter tipping point some time ago ago. Closets were disorganized and overflowing with too many clothes. We could barely walk in the basement and utility
 room for all of the things we didn't know what else to do with. And on December 26th, our problem was compounded with even MORE stuff to store, pick up, and care for.

And then Bryan said one quiet night after the kids had gone to bed, "I'm tired of spending most of my free time managing all of our stuff."

Amen.

So, we have attacked our clutter. We have thrown away dozens of trashbags full of things, have another dozen or so full of clothes to donate, boxed about 200 books up, and have a utility room packed full of things to sell.

I kept thinking how obscene it all looked in piles. The piles of waste and excess.... And then we started feeling invigorated. Neither of us wants to stop! Because we are opening up space in our lives. Space to fill with experiences and meaning, not things. (Important Note: the kids are not quiiiiiite as enthusiastic as the parents. They are mortified and grief- stricken and appalled that we would think of giving away, well, ANYTHING).

I want these pictures to be a reminder of the progress we are making.

Also, I think these pictures look just like the kind of pictures Soulemama posts  :).

No comments:

Post a Comment