The above is from this post about curriculum, from FIMBY.
We value Relationships, Being Together, experiencing Nature and Adventure, Movement, Healthy Foods,
Connecting to a Higher Purpose, Living Simply and Thoughtfully and Sharing our Gifts with Others. We appreciate Laughter and Conversation, History, Beauty, and Meaningful Stories. (our list is very, very similar to hers, perhaps that is why I'm so drawn to her site). :)
We want to raise inspired, interest-driven, independent thinkers who know the strong love and support of their family and the gift and meaning of their precious lives. We also want to raise kind and thoughtful communicators who appreciate the sacred and find meaning in love, their "work," nature, and a Benevolent Creator.
When I also consider that we are in this for the long haul, what we do everyday becomes much simpler. I don't have to get so hung up on when to teach commas and the definition of a metaphor. I can relax, have more fun, and "listen more and steer less."
playing Eskimo on adjacent property on a school morning
"Our homeschool curriculum is a living thing, just like our days. It’s everything we do and study. It’s crafts, books, cooking, math practice, hiking, playing, writing e-mails, drawing, sewing, lots of discussions, journal entries, internet research, documentaries, bored afternoons, exploring the woods, etc."
Yes, yes and yes, yes, yes.
The crux of our homeschooling "curriculum" isn't the math or grammar practices or pinterest activities we attempt.
Structured "school" time begins to look less and less like a traditional classroom. What "grade" we are in matters less and less.

Before bedtime--watching a great PBS video about unusual animal friendships--girls got their hair braided and dressed their babies for bed too.
When I Need A Boost:
*My Favorite One Stop Read for Homeschooling Inspiration: FIMBY: Her list here is RICH!
*Return to the Breath: Children need something to love, something to do, and something to think about.
To end this post...As I was cleaning the other afternoon, I noticed that Caroline asked Jenna to read a big stack of Little House books to her. They stayed on the couch for over 20 minutes, Jenna happily reading and Caroline happily listening. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment