Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Starting "School" with a Project Based Learning Focus

Since I saved this post first as a draft, it's going to be out of sequence.  This should have been posted mid-August.  Anyway...

I decided to get back to "school" by focusing solely on something I want to be a major part of our homeschooling:  Self-directed Project Based Learning.  The "how" comes from Lori Pickert's awesome blog.  I signed up for one of her classes and concentrated for three weeks on the girls and I adjusting/learning how this was going to work for us without worrying about anything else.  This allowed me extra time to read her blog, take notes and troubleshoot. 

The kids took to it immediately, getting SO excited when I told them they were in COMPLETELY in charge. 
The first couple weeks, we had the birth of "chicken notes" (I follow Jenna around the yard and record her observations and ideas about all things chicken). 



Watching the chickens lay their eggs.  She did this for long periods of time and learned all about their habits.



 





Her sister was touched and loved it.
She wanted to make one too.






 This is the new desk area I set up for them.  They went nuts for it.  Everything in one place and within easy reach.  They are using it all the time, even at night.  :)





This has nothing to do with PBL, but we were reading about Columbus and the girls wanted to know why you can't drink seawater.  We found out the ratio of salt in a cup of water, added a bit of food coloring, and I let them try it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment