This past Saturday, I went to visit my Grandma at the nursing
home for a couple of hours.
I brought a book to read.
She smiled when I said, “we’ve spent lots of hours reading together,
haven’t we?” Yes, she nodded.
She can’t communicate with me like she used to, but I still
find tremendous comfort just being in her presence…patting her hand, making her
get tickled, helping her in any way I can.
I read Staring at the
Sun: Overcoming the Terror of Death
(sounds really uplifting, huh?).
It was beautiful reading though. Her at the end of her life, me nearing the
middle of mine. One of my favorite ideas
from the book is “rippling.”
“Rippling refers to
the fact that each of us creates-often without our conscious intent or knowledge-concentric
circles of influence that may affect others for years, even for
generations. That is, the effect we have
on other people is in turn passed on to others, much as the ripples in a pond
go on and on until they’re no longer visible but continuing at a nano level.”
One of my grandmother’s ripples? Her unselfishness. Toward the end of my visit, she pointed
to G and O on the alphabet I wrote out. “You
want me to go home?” “Yes,” she
nodded.
She wanted me to go home to be with my family. I had been there long enough "bothering" with her.
Often I wished I visited her more, but in her way, she let me know that being home with my family is where she wants me to be.
That’s a memory I want to treasure.

No comments:
Post a Comment